Friday, July 13, 2007

When the Pope talks, I rarely listen...

One of my issues with organized religion is the "we have the only way to heaven" position of some churches or denominations or groups. Whatever. Pope Benedict XVI's announcement the other day that the Catholic church is the only true church and the only to offer salvation has really ticked me off.

Jesus came. Jesus died. He's my all-access pass to salvation. I can read it in my Bible, I don't need a religious man to tell me where I can get saved. I'm covered. Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." He didn't say, no one gets in except through this church, or that good deed or by giving a certain amount of money or by going to church x amount of Sundays per year.

There are times when I think we make Jesus too complicated.
LMF

1 Comments:

At Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I am constantly telling people that it doesn't matter what "denomination" you go to. It is all about believing and being part of the Body!
Hopefully more people will start to get the message.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home