Thursday, May 17, 2007

A local makes all the difference

Several times while in DC, I found myself explaining that my trip was going well because I had a local to give me touring advice, steer me toward the best restaurants and away from the questionable establishments and areas. Something about having a local connection in a strange and new city that's big and intimidating makes all the difference in how successful and meaningful the trip ends up to be.

It hit me today that for guests at Horizons, having a local can and does make all the difference in how they connect and feel welcome during their stay on our campus. When was the last time you were someone's local connection at Horizons? After being a tourist and benefiting from having KP's advice and direction...I now want to bring that concept to my Sundays and be the local for someone new to Horizons. Even if that someone is a stranger, someone I didn't even invite, I'm going to go out-of-my-way to make their stay easier.

I want to go back for another visit to DC. I loved it. Loved the city, the people...the experience. I want guests at Horizons to feel the same way.

Be the local. Make the difference.
LMF

2 Comments:

At Saturday, May 19, 2007 3:03:00 PM, Blogger Steve Todd said...

Great idea, Lisa. It makes all the difference if the local is a friend--or becomes a friend.

 
At Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:28:00 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

I know several "locals" in our church, and I admire what they do. I think that's why a lot of people choose to return to Horizons... because someone took the time to care about them and show them around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home