Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This post brought to you by...

The good doctors at Sibley rescued my vacation. I spent all of yesterday touring every monument and memorial worth experiencing in DC. With the exception of traveling to the top of the Washington Monument -- I have my limits -- my day was filled with history and awe.

When this picture was taken, I was about the enter the Lincoln Memorial which is probably the most imposing and most impressive monument I've ever experienced. I couldn't stop asking myself if I were truly there. Even today, it is hard to believe I was there.

While marveling at the imposing Lincoln, a group of fifth-grade boys from Delaware approached me. "Could we ask you some questions?" one began. "Well, yeah, sure," I said, but thinking it would depend upon what they were going to ask. "What does Lincoln mean to you?" one asked. "Oh (easy, I thought) he's the namesake for the city I live in, Lincoln, Nebraska." He wrote all that down in a very slow, fifth-grade boy type of printing. Then he asks, "And where are you from?" Well, that did it as far as his friends were concerned. They all laughed at him, "she told you, dude, Lincoln, Nebraska." The kiddo was embarrassed beyond words and description. "No worries," I tried to say to him, to make him feel a little better, but they all thanked me for my time, including their teacher who was standing only a few steps behind them.

I boarded Tourmobile at 9:30 a.m. at Union Station and was done by 4 p.m. It was the best $25 I've spent all week. I did have to climb a lot of stairs (gingerly this time!) but for all I saw in one day, it was an incredible deal.

Today is my last day in DC. I'll be buying shirts, packing, taking pictures and hanging my my friend who is telecommuting today (i.e., she'll be working at midnight after I'm gone!). More later.

LMF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home