Sunday, May 20, 2007

One team -- that's confirmation

I've traveled to Osseo, Wisconsin to witness the baptism and confirmation of my nephew, Brandon.

Pastor Sheri at the Osseo United Church of Christ spoke about why we as Christians have broken into so many different denominations and how that has affected the Church and some believers.

I'm always engaged in the discussion when it comes to us as Christians playing on and for the same team. When working with the ministries at Horizons as Communications team leader, I'm always aware of the following:

  • We are not competing with other Christian churches for members or attenders,
  • When we share best practices with other churches, we're not divulging trade secrets,
  • When I visit other churches, I'm not there to spy -- I'm there to learn and discover new ways to communicate for the Team.
  • Our way of Worship is not the only way...which is why we have so many different churches. Different churches for different people. Church is not a one-size-fits-all solution to helping people find Christ. The point is that they do find Christ, not that they can only or should only find Him at Horizons.

So it was nice to travel more than 500 miles to a small town of less than 2,000 to listen to Pastor Sheri talk about working well with other churches in Osseo. I think one of the best things I can do for guests of Horizons is get to know other churches in Lincoln so that when I do hear someone say that Horizons isn't for them, I'm at the ready with the knowledge of other churches that could be a good fit for them.

I know it sounds like match-making and online dating, but that's a different blog post.

LMF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home