Sunday, March 04, 2007

Grey's Anatomy and big questions

I did some catching up with a month's worth of "Grey’s Anatomy" this week (!) and I’m still thinking about the theme “If I went missing, would anyone notice?”

  • Would you notice if I didn't blog for a week?
  • Would you notice if I weren't in church Sunday?
  • Would anyone notice if I missed class one night?
  • Would Pastor Steve notice if he didn't receive an email-a-day from me?
  • Would Candie notice if she didn't receive two emails a day and a phone call from me on Fridays?

Fowler and I have a saying about particular chores or responsibilities that we don’t like to do ourselves that the other does, like tracking birthdays/anniversaries (my job) and changing light bulbs (his job) by saying, “hey, that’s why I got married.” It sounds as if we don’t take marriage seriously when of course we do. There’s a great monologue in the Richard Gere/Jennifer Lopez/Susan Sarandon movie, "Shall we Dance," about marriage:

**We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'.**

Fowler would notice. My mom would notice. Mace would notice. Friends, too. I’m connected. I’m OK with the question AND the answer.

Yet not everyone will be. A week or two ago, there was the story about the man who was found dead a year after he died. No one missed him. No one noticed. His wife was already gone. An entire year. Dead for 365 days before he was found sitting in his living room with his TV blaring.


I’m sure there are people who don’t want to ask the question because the answer would be too painful to realize there may not be another human being on this planet who would go looking for them and not give up until they are found.

What about you? If you went missing, would anyone notice?

LMF

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This question leads to a serious look at one's self. It could be scary for some people, that's for sure! But it brings me personally to the Core class at Horizons on Community - on how to build relationships that last and mean something and are authentic. We are diving into what makes relationships really genuine and meaningful and lasting.
We'd love it if more people would join us on Mondays at 6:30 - 8pm to uncover these mysterious things called meaningful relationships. We have 4 sessions left, but it's easy to jump right in. However, because of spring break next week, we will be meeting on Sunday from 6:30 - 8pm at the church. Please join us for a some great discussions and more importantly, how to foster these genuine and authentic relationships that will last. You will then be sure of your answer to the question “If I went missing, would anyone notice?”
It's definitely worth it!!!! We Hope to see you on Sunday evening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home