Saturday, November 11, 2006

Breaking the rules

The family and I are hanging out in Ogallala, celebrating a milestone birthday for Eric's grandmother who just turned 90. Today I took Mace to a nearby park to let him run off some of his 3-year-old energy reserves.

As he was playing on the equipment, I was walking around the park and started reading the rules and regulations sign. One of the first no-nos was "running." The entire line was "no running, pushing or shoving." OK, sure I'll stop my kid from the pushing and shoving, but really, no running at a park?

Some rules are just begging to be broken. Jesus broke the law by healing on the Sabbath. It was a silly rule. I hate getting so caught up in rules and regulations but as a parent, I am always making up rules for Mace. But no running at a park? That just makes me laugh.

Today is Veteran's Day. Thanks go out to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve. Without our Veterans, people like me wouldn't have the freedom to sit in a comfy chair in a warm home with family and publicly post about rules I think are silly. That sort of freedom I don't take for granted.

LMF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home