Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sometimes we go far to get close

One of the perks of traveling to Phoenix for MinistryCOM was the opportunity to meet three others from Lincoln churches. Mind you, it's not easy to round up four people who have never met before, so we did a lot of reading name tags that first day and racking up roaming cell minutes.

First off, a big thanks to Kim Turnage, Director of Lay Ministries, with Southwest Lutheran Church here in Lincoln. She made the calls around town before we all shipped out to see who was attending, exchanged cell numbers and made sure we all got together for dinner Thursday night. That's a fine communicator!

Kim was joined by church member Dan Noennig, who is a graphic designer and tech support to his younger sister who is a college freshman. When the new Southwood church building is complete, they'll be our new neighbors around 40th and Yankee Hill Road. We should take them some cookies.

My other new friend is June Parsons, Director of Communication Ministries, with First Evangelical Free Church. June and I got to talk quite a bit and she's the genuine real deal. We talked about finding other Lincoln church communications workers/volunteers and starting up a round table discussion group. Maybe it's to share ideas, maybe commiserate, or maybe just because we like to talk. Uh, I mean communicate.

A big cyber hello to Kim, Dan and June. We'll talk soon. After the new Web site gets launched we'll meet for coffee. Edge64 makes a great latte.

LMF

2 Comments:

At Friday, September 15, 2006 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you hit the ground running, too? I've been multi-tasking like crazy this week after being away from the office and home!

I enjoyed your post about the trip back to Lincoln. I wish mine had gone as well. I got all that car rental, lugging luggage, getting searched, etc. done only to find out my flight was full AND cancelled! The plane's "slide" had been accidentally deployed and it would be hours until it was replaced, so . . . we all went back to claim our luggage and begin again. I grabbed my cell phone and called American to get another flight. That was fortunate because I was then able to go into the "short" line to get my new ticket. I got back to Omaha at 5 p.m. instead of 2 p.m. BUT I did get back. Time to spare? Go by air!

One of my take backs from MinistryCom is BLOGGING! Thank you for showing me how effective this medium can be.

 
At Saturday, September 16, 2006 6:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Lisa!

Great meeting you and June in Phoenix...too bad we had to go hundreds of miles to find each other! Brought home so many new ideas from the conference...all my coworkers are sick of hearing me say, "I've got an idea.."

About those cookies..is that a promise? (I love all things chocolate!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home